Pricing of the two new models has been confirmed at $26,399 inc GST Ride Away for the YZF-R1 and $34,849 inc GST Ride Away for the R1M.
For 2020 the R1 and R1M are equipped with the next generation of Yamaha’s unique 998cc inline four-cylinder crossplane crankshaft engine. Returning features include titanium fracture-split connecting rods and offset cylinders, while the cylinder head, fuel injectors, finger-follower rocker arms, and camshaft profiles are all new for 2020.
Redesigned bodywork creates a 5.3 percent increase in aerodynamic efficiency while reducing wind noise and pressure on the rider when in a tucked position. Comfort is increased with smoother side sections around the tank area. The 2020 R1M also receives a new carbon fibre tail cowl.
New lightweight, compact LED twin headlights for both the low and high beam, combined with the redesigned body styling to create a new front face symbolising the next-generation of R-Series design.
An all-new Accelerator Position Sensor with Grip (APSG) ride-by-wire system – featuring Yamaha’s Chip Controlled Throttle (YCC-T) – eliminates throttle cables and reduces weight while providing smoother throttle operation.
Yamaha’s six-axis Inertial Measurement Unit (IMU) continues to be the key feature of the electronics package. The system processes real-time vehicle attitude and wheel speed data for the new Brake Control (BC) technology that gives riders the choice of two intervention modes. Riders can select a BC1 setting for enhanced upright, straight-line braking, or a BC2 for enhanced braking into corners.
A new Engine Brake Management (EBM) system also allows the rider to select between three levels of engine braking force to suit their individual preference or riding situation on the road or track.
New KYB fork legs on the YZF-R1 feature an upgraded internal shim stack, while the KYB rear shock has revised internal settings. Öhlins Electronic Racing Suspension (ERS) on the YZF-R1M features new NPX pressurised fork legs, along with a revised rear shock. Everything is adjustable through the YRC settings and Y-TRAC on the TFT dash or via a smartphone.
New features at a glance:
• Redesigned cylinder head, fuel injectors, finger-follower rocker arms, and camshaft profiles
• APSG ride-by-wire system with YCC-T
• Brake Control (BC) and Engine Brake Management (EBM) for a choice of seven electronic control settings
• Öhlins ERS NPX forks with integrated gas cylinder and optimised rear shock settings (R1M)
• KYB upside-down forks with new internal shim stack design (R1)
• Optimised settings for linked-type Monocross KYB rear shock (R1)
• Next-generation R-Series redesigned bodywork with outstanding aerodynamic efficiency
• Carbon fibre tail cowl (R1M)
• Bridgestone RS11 Battlax Racing Street tyres with updated tread design
• New front brake pad friction material for excellent control while braking